05 September 2007

How Art spent Monday night...

Fire started by charcoal grill leaves nine homeless
By PAT GROSSMITHNew Hampshire Union Leader Staff Tuesday, Sep. 4, 2007
GREENVILLE – Three families are homeless today after a charcoal grill caused a fire that destroyed their apartment building, according to the fire chief.
Fire Chief Larry Legere said smoke alarms alerted nine residents, including four children, to the 8:52 p.m. fire last night at 24 Main St. All escaped the burning building and were outside when firefighters arrived.
Two residents suffered minor injuries and were treated at the scene, he said.
The apartment building, owned by Barry Sullivan of Amherst, is a complete loss, according to Legere.
"It had a real good jump before we got there," he said.
Legere said the fire was caused by a grill on a rear, first-floor porch. The flames traveled up the outside of the building and then into and throughout it.
"The building is standing but it's a total loss," he said.
The fire was brought under control three hours after it started.
Firefighters, along with mutual aid from Mason, New Ipswich and Temple, contained the blaze to the building, even though another residence at 22 Main St. is only 10 feet from it. An outdoor propane tank was also of concern, the chief said, especially when flames burned the grass around it.
The Red Cross was at the fire scene last night assisting the families.

No comments: