25 February 2008

To clean or not to clean...

Growing up I had a very tidy Mother to say the least. You had to be really quiet and sneaky if you wanted to sleep in but had to get up to go to the bathroom because if she heard you your bed would be made before you got back. If you left a glass on the coffee table and left the room it was forfeit. She would follow you around with a wash cloth if you were eating something sticky. The up side was that you always had clean clothes, and knew where to find your shoes. I remember a friend of mine taking a marble from one of her knick knacks and putting it in a potted plant. She found it within 24 hours and demanded to know how it got there!
I do not consider myself to be anywhere near this level of cleanliness or organization. However, there are times when she shines through in me. Like when I get the toothbrush out to clean the bathroom or I move everything on the countertop to get every little dust-bunny out of the corner and for some reason leaving the house on a trip.

I cannot leave a dirty house when we are leaving. I don't know why. I vacuuum all the pet fur from the floors, couches, and corners knowing full well that they will replenish it before I get home. Same with the slider window. I clean it knowing that Polar will have his nose pressed to it the whole time we are gone. I put all of their toys away, washed, folded, and put away all of our clothes(Lizzy helped of course!), and clean the bathrooms. Taking out the trash makes sense, but why did I have to organize the drawers in the bathroom? Well, now that I have mopped the floor, cleaned out the fridge, and bathed the cat (she was helping to clean the boiler) we can go...

2 comments:

whatevergirl said...

Kitty in the dyer--cute! Kid the washer-bad! My son climbs into the washer at odd times! Thank God it will not work when the lid is open.
Ummm, I have to say, I wish I had the cleaning gene. My grandmother always used to say she wasn't a housekeeper, my mother followed suit, and I am generation 3 of the "non-housekeepers". I am still hoping for that maid to walk thru the door any day now.

EXSENO said...

I only wish I could be that organized. When I lived alone it was easy, but now that some of my family is living with me again it seems impossible. I think mostly because there is not enough room to put things away in.