11 October 2007

Did you hear that?

Did I just move aboard the Daedalus? What's that humming sound? Could someone please turn down the volume? It is getting way too loud in here. For the last two weeks I have had the pleasure of tinnitus. Aka- ringing in the ears. Of course, there is an incredible pressure in my head that I am sure, at times, would feel better if someone just took a pin and put a small air release in it. My candida groups all say it is common and due to candida. Driving the little buggers out of the nerves apparently makes quite a racket. Unfortunately, they had no guarantee or any suggestions on what to do about it. So, I bit the bullet, and made an appointment with my primary care physician. She's a hard as nails, no nonsense kind of doctor. I have decided I kind of like her. She gave me the once over; not sure why she needed to know how much I weigh? She commented that I had great blood pressure at 98 over 56 (Art said it was low...) then sat me down for a mini-House-esque discussion with her wipe board and brainstorming. Could be this? Do you have any...? Have you ever...? Does it...? We removed dirty ears or a head cold from the game right off the bat since I looked and sounded perfectly healthy. I am pretty sure we ruled out tumor, or was it that the insurance company frowned upon cat scans for ringing ears with no other symptoms?? She settled on Varicella Zoster Virus. This is the group of bugs that gave most kids a break from early school. Chicken Pox. The adult strain is also called Shingles. I guess they move in to nerve cells after their first party, and most lay dormant forever. If something wakes them up though- look out. Hurts like heck, and in my case has left my ears with a lovely (LOUD) hum. Of course, there is nothing that can be done about it. If I had come in right away they had all sorts of chemical cocktails that would hold them back, but since I waited nearly two weeks, I am on my own. Me and a bottle of Aleve.

No comments: