20 October 2010

Fall in New England

Where does the time go? As I watch the leaves falling outside my window I realize that another year is coming to a close. It goes by faster each year!
Most of our time and money went into the business this year but we did replace a rotting and leaky slider with windows at home. This has been a hard year. We were distracted early by renovating and moving our business but our sales have continued to slide down as a result of the warm weather and soft economy.Outside our new shop
Inside
We did a little traveling this year but not much.


We lost our beloved Polar this summer not even a year after losing our feline friend Zoicite last fall. One day in late July he stopped eating dry food. It was such a bloody hot summer we didn't think anything of it. Within a week he was only eating one meal a day, then the next week only a bite or two. He spent a week in the vet hospital on fluids and for testing. He had liver failure. We took him home, made him comfortable as possible, and loved him and lavished attention on him until he passed away in his sleep a little over a week later. Heart-breaking. Still fighting back tears...

We did have some new additions to the family as well. We got new chicks from My Pet Chicken this spring, and Cuddles hatched three eggs this year! Our first hatch was a frizzle leghorn mix named Flower. He ended up being a rooster so his name was upgraded to Flower Power. Her second was a Buff/Leghorn mix and was given away to someone who wanted to use him for breeding. The third is a cochin frizzle mix. Baby Spice, who is two months old is most likely a hen... I'll get back to you on this though. Cuddles does not have the best track record for laying hens instead of roosters!
New silkies. They are adorable and sweet! Tiffani, Milli, and Iffi
Baby Spice hatched with her sister Pumpkin. Pumpkin died within a couple days :-(

We are also working with a dog rescue to try to adopt a new pup. More on that later hopefully! My brother has started dating Julie, a wonderful energetic vibrant person and we have enjoyed her and Harrison's addition to our family. Art's parents are doing better this year. We had a mini-scare with Bud when he had a blocked carotid artery and needed surgery, but he is on the mend.

6 comments:

Jan said...

Flower Power--what a great save!!

Sorry for your loss of Polar. I can still get tears to come when I remember losing any of my dogs from past years, but so many great memories.

Shannon said...

Thanks Jan. We do have a lot of great memories with him. I am hoping the happy memories will be first in my mind soon!

Renna said...

It's good to catch up on your life, Shannon. I am terribly sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful Polar. We've been through that more times than I care to remember in recent years. Though the day-to-day without them does get easier with the passage of time, you never quit missing them. They become such a part of our lives, our little 4-legged kids. (((hug)))

By the way, do you still knit?

EXSENO said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I tried to keep a little kitten alive the mother cat just rejected her and wouldn't have anything to do with her. I called a vet and got some tips on what to do for her to keep her alive. I cared for her for two weeks. I fed her kept her nice an warm and loved her. She seemed just fine. Then one day she wouldn't eat and the next morning she died. I cried myself sick.

Anonymous said...

That New England scenery is making me homesick....

Condolences on the loss of Polar. Such a beautiful dog. And (though I may be biased, having a Husky companion m'self) there's a certain wildness of spirit unique to Huskies that's hard to replace. I hope your heart heals enough to consider adopting a dog, when you're ready -- you've got a lot of love to give, and there are dogs out there who need it!
- - - - - - - - - - -
Jack@PDB
dog beds and more

EXSENO said...

Hi Shannon,
I haven't been on my blog for to long, so I thought I would start again before I lose all of my friends. So here I am.

But I see now that you haven't been on yours either.

Hope you haven't given it up completely?
You always had good posts and I always enjoyed reading them.