13 January 2008

Roller Coasters

When I was growing up I used to love to go to the amusement park. I was pretty picky about the rides, though. Circle rides made me want to hurl. I liked the water ride, and the ski ball game. Roller coasters scared the sh!t out of me. My favorite was the bumper cars. As I lay awake watching stars out my skylight last night I started to think how much this relates to my life.
I cannot do the same thing over and over again like a hamster in a wheel. The scenery never changes, and you feel like you can't get out. Repitition is the worst punishment you could give me. I would literally go crazy. People who can have the same conversation over and over again drive me up a tree. You know those people who will ask the same question twenty times in a row? Like they are breaking you down to the point that you will tell them what they want to hear just so they will shut the hell up and go away.
I liked the bumper cars. I was in control of my own little machine, and the consequences/rewards were very cut and dry. If you targeted someone you could generally nail them. Rest assured that once you did that they would want to come back to get you, but you had the advantage by striking first. But watch your back, someone else could be planning the same thing.
The water ride was always pretty and calm with nice scenery to begin with. When you least expect it there would be a tight corner, or a drop and you might get a little wake up call in the form of water splashing on you. It kept it interesting, but was pretty easy going overall.
Ski ball was fun mostly because there was a reward for accuracy and consistency. Being a number nerd this seems like the obvious favorite...
The one I have had to learn to love as I have grown is the roller coaster. They used to be too jerky, and frightening with all of the twists, turns, slow rises, and fast falls. I appreciate how much it is like my business life. Owning a business is one of the biggest, scariest, coolest, most rewarding roller coasters there is. The variability, twists and turns, highs and lows happen in rapid succession. Frequently in the same day. I am always afraid that the current turn may be the last. Sometimes it scares the crap out of me, but I know that once it is over I will remember it with a big smile on my face, an excited bounce in my step, and will want to get right back in line to ride it again!

No comments: